English and Media Studies
Our core aims are for students to:
- read easily, fluently and with good understanding
- develop the habit of reading widely and often, for both pleasure and information
- acquire a wide vocabulary, an understanding of grammar and knowledge of linguistic conventions for reading, writing and spoken language
- appreciate our rich and varied literary heritage
- write clearly, accurately and coherently, adapting their language and style in and for a range of contexts, purposes and audiences
- use discussion in order to learn; they should be able to elaborate and explain clearly their understanding and ideas
- develop competency in the arts of speaking and listening, making formal presentations, demonstrating to others and participating in debate.
KS3 English is designed to extend and embed the skills of reading and writing through language and literary study. We also recognise that the future of the subject is ‘knowledge based’ and reflect this in our assessments through multiple-choice testing on language terminology and recall of socio-historical context.
KS4 English Language and English Literature
Exam Board : AQA.
Ashlawn English students follow a three year KS4 curriculum which introduces, embeds and extends knowledge and skills in preparation for successful linear terminal assessment. Through revision and an interleaved approach to the curriculum, students should develop both confidence and expertise in readiness for the challenges of the new GCSE specifications.