Biology is an exciting subject at GCSE. It give students a real insight in to how the human body works and how we interact with our environment. In addition, students will learn about the structure and function of plants and the complex world of microbes. Finally, there is a firm emphasis on genetics, genetic engineering with applications in biotechnology, and an introduction to evolution.
The course includes a wide variety of experiments which all students complete. These vary between those investigated inside the laboratory, including dissections and those practical investigations that take place within the environment beyond the laboratory.
The new Edexcel Biology GCSE course will be examined for the first time in Summer 2017. Students have started studying towards this new qualification which is more challenging and interesting than previously, and prepares students well for A level Biology if they choose to study this.
This course is divided into nine key Biology topics which the students will cover over a 3 year period:
- Topic 1 – Key concepts in biology
- Topic 2 – Cells and control
- Topic 3 – Genetics
- Topic 4 – Natural selection and genetic modification
- Topic 5 – Health, disease and the development of medicines
- Topic 6 – Plant structures and their functions
- Topic 7 – Animal coordination, control and homeostasis
- Topic 8 – Exchange and transport in animals
- Topic 9 – Ecosystems and material cycles
KS4 Biology Teachers